Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Chilli Crab @ Jumbo

When I found out that I would be moving to Singapore, I was excited about the prospect of eating Chilli Crab all year round.

I love all types of seafood but I've always had a soft spot for crab.
It's the sweetnees of the meat and the fact that you really have to get your hands dirty is what I really enjoy. A slow but rewarding meal.

My first chilli crab experience was at Jumbo, East Coast Seafood Centre.


The restuarant is renowned for is fresh seafood and with a view overlooking the sea, it's a great place to indulge. The restaurant is one that is on the tad expensive side though still pretty reasonable.

Serving large Sri Lankan Mud Crabs at $38 kilo.
Crabs served at Hawker style centre such as East Coast Food Village & Newton Food Circus still charge about $32-35.

The belated cost of gst (10%) and service charge (7%), make it more of a luxury restaurant to dine in. Also, be mindful that Jumbo charge $1.20 for what you think are complementary peanuts.....I found that amusing that they get away with that!

Back to the crab......

The size of the crab was big. The order was for one that was 900grams and the crab came out fat and buldging. The claws were so sweet and packed with meat.
I really enjoyed the Chilli Crab sauce at Jumbo, it had a good balance of sweet and spicy.
The sauce was also a nice consistency, not too running.

As a newbie to Singapore, I didn't know that the sauce should have been mopped up with a serving of mantou buns so I didn't get a chance to try the buns there.

There is always next time I say, as this is a place where I'd definitely come back with visiting guests.


Visit Jumbo's website

No comments:

Post a Comment