Saturday, December 5, 2009

Otak Otak in Penang

I'm in Penang right now and have spent a good deal trying to find new dishes that I can't get in Singapore.

It seems that Singapore has acquired much of the Malaysian favourites but I have discovered that the Malay's do it better.

I had a wonderful otak otak on a side street called 'new lane' yesterday. It was presented as a pyramid wrapped banana leaf, and contained the most lightest fish mouse. The texture was so delicate yet the flavours were robust with aromatics and a rich curry taste. The mouse on it's own was the highlight though it was nice to get a decent amount of fish pieces and herbs throughout.

I really enjoyed this version. It reminds me of a Lao dish 'mok pa' that I love. The size of it was fantastic. I've only seen it in Singapore, long and flat making it hard to get a true sense of the moussey texture it really should be.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this looks great. Mok pa is one of my favourite dishes - is this better than Mok?

    ps. Amok from cambodia is an inferior version of steamed fish...

    ReplyDelete